Monday, December 7, 2009

Disrespectful Teachers

One of my biggest pet peeves is when teachers treat students badly. Because I have a reputation as a good student, teachers generally do not disrespect me, or even usually get me in trouble. I can understand when a student is outright rude to a teacher the teacher should obviously reprimand them. What I don't understand is how a teacher can justify making snide comments about a student, especially when they don't know the student's situation. I see this happening so often and it really disappoints me. You often hear teachers saying, "You need to give respect to get respect." I do not know if they think this only applies one way, or what? There is absolutely no excuse for a teacher to degrade and demean their students. I have lost respect for so many teachers because of the way they treat certain students.
If you are a teacher, just because a student has a bad reputation and is missing a lot of school, you shouldn't automatically assume they are up to mischief. A lot of times, teachers have no idea what is going on in a particular student's life. Disrespecting a student even once will often influence that student forever, and will permanently leave them with an antipathy towards a class or school in general. I used to enjoy school, at least most days, but I've seen the way different adults treat some of the kids, and I cannot stand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment