Friday, February 26, 2010

Every Pessimist Was Once an Optimist

Imagine standing up in front of your judgmental peers and an almost-as-judgmental judge and trying to put emotion into words you've only read yesterday. Or, try telling the same audience all about a topic you have had thirty minutes to think about and you very likely don't know anything about it either. That is what I will be doing tomorrow!
As uncomfortable as the situation sounds, I am excited. I have a speech tournament tomorrow and I haven't been to any this year! This means I have to be at school at 5 A.M. But I'll be doing poetry and extemp at this tournament and I hope it will be fun.
Truly, I admire optimistic people. I have slowly become more and more pessimistic, though, and it is a little disconcerting. You have all of these expectations of the world, and as you get older, more and more of them disappear because you've already been let down. Despite this seemingly depressing outlook on life, I still entertain a little moment of hopeful amusement where I think school might not be insanely freaking boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment