Saturday, June 18, 2011

My Mom Swears in German

Today, I realized that I have approximately one week, starting today which is pretty much over, to design, cut, and sew a dress. Fortunately the dress I had in mind wasn't terribly complicated, although I've never designed a top that was so structured. Pictures woo!



It's not terribly complex, or anything, but you get the idea. It's a V-neck sleeveless sundress with a stuctured top and partially fitted A-line skirt. (Look at me using fancy words like I know what I'm talking about.)



I do all of my patterns on muslin first. (cough cough I totally didn't learn about that from watching Project Runway cough cough)

I promise I'm not actually licking it. It just totally looks like I am. Also, my face looks a bit weird, so ignore that part.

Anywho, let's hope I get that bad boy done pretty soon! So here's what's on my mind right now. There's this thing called Jerusalem Syndrome. It's where people go and visit Jerusalem and like, lose their marbles. They put on togas, babble in tongues, preach the gospel, pretend to be the Messiah and whatnot. It afflicts people of various religious backgrounds and cultures. To quote the Wikipedia (always a reliable source haha) article: "The Jerusalem syndrome is a group of mental phenomena involving the presence of either religiously themed obsessive ideas, delusions or other psychosis-like experiences that are triggered by a visit to the city of Jerusalem... a person who seems previously stable and devoid of any signs of pschyopathology becomes psychotic after arriving in Jerusalem."

Doesn't it make you wanna flip your lid?? Haha that was probably insensitive or something somehow.


Ok, so the article does go on to dispute the possible validity of Jerusalem syndrome being a specific mania particular only to Jerusalem, and the syndrome as a whole, but still. How whack is it that a city could cause such hysteria? If you're the curious type, I completely suggest perusing that Wikipedia article a bit.


P.s. My mom does swear in German sometimes. It's kind of funny, that's really the only German she knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment